Attention! Watch this item to be notified when: - the price of this item drops by 10% or more - another user makes an offer on this item - if the item is ever re-listed
Rainbow MachinePolyphonic Pitch Mesmerizer
Stop me if youve heard this before: Welcome to the Rainbow Machine, in all its synthetic glory! This one is for experimenters, adventurists, and noisemakers. Totally not for purists and/or tone hounds. There are no natural sounds that come from this box. It takes modern DSP and uses it as a tool of future past to create real-time pitch shifting using digital oscillators.
Stop? Okay, fine, but what if I told you the Rainbow Machine has been completely re-imagineered from the pixie dust-covered ground up to be more versatile, twice as loud as the original, with an extended delay time, deeper chorus tones, silent Flexi-Switch foot switches on both the Activate and Magic functions, and most of all, has more Magic?
The Rainbow Machine is built around a DSP pitch warping engine thats designed to be slightly imperfect; colored with digital remnants of the cosmic dust weve picked up across the multiverse. That is to say its a cold digital beast made to pretend it has feelings.
The Pitch control adjusts the frequency of the polyphonic pitch-warped harmony from a fourth below your input, to a third above, and every atonal pitch in-between. Noon is the unison position. Use the Primary function control to adjust the volume of the polyphonic harmony.
You may add in an accompanying octave or thicken the modulation by bringing up the Secondary function control. The Tracking control adjusts the lag time between the wet and dry signals, and the Tone control rolls off some treble for a darker, vintage sound. Clockwise is bright, counterclockwise is dark.
[Pro Tip: The Rainbow Machines pitch warping behavior is entirely dependent upon the Pitch knobs position relative to noon. Set above noon, echoes, pixie trails, and other effects will ascend in pitch as they sustain. With the Pitch control below noon, any lingering effects will descend in pitch. This becomes extremely important when using the Magic function.]
The Secondary control adds an octave of the Primary harmony. When the Pitch control is above noon, Secondary adds an octave above the harmony. When the Pitch control is below noon, the Secondary control will add one octave below the harmony. With the Pitch set to noon, the Secondary control adds an additional chorus voice for modulated, triple-tracked tones. Use this control to blend in faux-shimmer sounds or a low-frequency rumble. Its up to you. From there, its only a matter of how weird you wanna get.
And you can choose how weird you wanna get with the Magic control. This is a regeneration control that creates aliasing (among other things) by feeding the Primary and Secondary signals back on themselves and each other, and a bunch of other stuff no one understands.
With the Magic engaged and the control set low, you can squeeze a few extra repeats out of whatever setting you happen to be using. As you increase the Magic control, youll start noticing increased ambiance, resonant, edge-of-oscillation pitch-shifting delays, chorus, metallic digi-flanging, ascending (or descending) pixie trails, controllable self-oscillation, squalls of synthetic noise, whale song, and finally, distortion. Itll take you way beyond and open up your third eye, trust us. In conjunction with the Tracking control, the Magic creates wild pitch take offs and descends, chaos chorusing, shrieks, groans, gurgles, briggles, bruggles, bridals, wizard-blessed wizardry, signal transformation, imminent destruction, and other general mayhem.
Each and every Rainbow Machine is harvested by hand in the (pixie) dusty Rainbonium mines of sunshiny Akron, Ohio, USA.
Pitch: This controls the pitch of the harmony. All the way counterclockwise is a 4th down, all the way clockwise is a 3rd up. The middle position is unison. The pitch can be controlled by an expression pedal as well.
Primary: This controls the volume of the Primary pitch-shifted signal. Unity gain is at about 2 oclock, anything above will boost the signal.
Secondary: This controls the volume of the secondary pitch-shifted signal. The Secondary controls the octave up/down from the primary pitch. At the noon position the Secondary is not present at all. However, turning the knob counterclockwise from noon yields an octave below, whereas turning clockwise yields an octave above and everything in between. Unity gain is at about 2 oclock, anything above will boost the signal.
Tracking: This controls the amount of lag time between the direct dry signal and the shifted wet signal. The pitch-shifted signal will track right on the dry signal when this control is all the way clockwise. It will start to lag behind the more it is reduced. This function is especially useful when the Magic is engaged.
Magic: This adjusts the weirdness of the effect. The end result is a wide variety of wild effects depending on where the other controls are set. The magic control will only work if the magic switch is engaged and the primary and/or secondary are in use. (Technically, its a regeneration control that creates aliasing between a mix of the primary and secondary functions feeding back against each other.)
Tone: All the way clockwise is full signal, turn counterclockwise to soften the highs.
Exp Jack: This is an expression pedal control jack for the pitch. The Pitch control is defeated when an expression pedal is inserted.
This device features Flexi-Switch Technology on the Activate and Magic switches! This relay-based, true bypass switching style allows you to simultaneously use momentary and latching style switching.
For standard latching operation, tap the foot switch once to activate the effect and then tap again to bypass.
For momentary operation, hold the foot switch down for as long as youd like to use the effect. Once you release the switch the effect will be bypassed.
Since the switching is relay based, it requires power to pass signal.
4.65" x 3.65" x 2.25" with knobs
The Rainbow Machine should be powered by a standard 9-volt DC power supply with a 2.1mm negative center barrel. We always recommend pedal-specific, transformer-isolated wall-wart power supplies or multiple isolated-output supplies. Pedals will make extra noise if there is ripple or unclean power. Switching-type power supplies, daisy chains and non-pedal specific power supplies do not filter dirty power as well and let through unwanted noise. Do not run at higher voltages!
Current Draw: 60mA Input impedance: 1M Output impedance: <1K
Why buy from Melody Music Shop, LLC?
Located in Bloomington, Indiana, Melody Music Shop strives to maintain a diverse, high quality inventory along with exceptional customer service. We carry a wide range of instruments and accessories, including new and used guitars, band and orchestral instruments, pianos, amps, sound systems, and so much more!
With certified technicians on staff and a century + of experience between them all, you can rest assured any instrument you purchase from Melody Music Shop LLC is in the best condition possible! Our ENTIRE STORE is maintained at 50% humidity year round per manufacturers stringent requirements. All items will be packaged carefully to ensure their safe arrival. Guitars will have their string tension lowered and packaged to manufacture specs or better. Melody Music Shop LLC guarantees quality products, fast shipping, and top-notch customer service!
Please contact us if you have any questions!
Layaway is an option!
Layaway items require an initial down payment of 25%.
Layaway items can be held here for up to 90 days
A payment of 25% (or more) is due on the 30th, 60th, and 90th day from the
layaway start date (although payments may be made before the scheduled due date).
The item will ship immediately following payment in full, which may be before the 90 day layaway period.
There are no returns on layaway items. There are no refunds of payments towards a layaway item.
Please contact us with any further questions regarding our layaway policy!
Items purchased from our store will ship out within 1 business day of receiving payment. FedEX Ground or Home Delivery, fully insured, will be used for shipping instruments and large items. Items over $200 will require a signature. Accessories and other small items will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail.
We accept PayPal and will only ship to confirmed ship-to addresses listed on the PayPal account.
We accept Visa, Discover, Mastercard, and American Express. The shipping and billing address must match in order for us to ship the item to that address.
Payments via Reverb are safe and secure too!
Thank you for looking :)
- We carry most items in inventory so we can ship your items without delay.
Most purchases leave our warehouse within 2 business-days of receipt of your order. Orders received on Friday, Saturday & Sunday will ship out Monday. (Our shipping department is closed on weekends & major US holidays.)
- Some of our items are shipped directly from the supplier. These items may require longer shipping times. Large orders, or orders which include items shipped directly from our suppliers, will arrive in multiple boxes.
- If you live within the continental US you will have the following options and associated shipping & handling costs at checkout:
Orders up to $50 – $7.99
Most orders over $50 – Free Shipping
Some exclusions apply – contact us for expedited and large / heavyweight item shipping quotes
- If a package is not able to be delivered by for any reason and returned to us, the customer will be responsible for the original shipping cost, plus the cost of returned shipping, as well as shipping costs to be resent if you desire.
- Orders to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and APO addresses (AA & AP) are shipped the best way based on weight, package size, and location. Please refer below for International Shipping information.
- Once your order has been processed for shipment you will receive shipment notification from via the email you provided at checkout. This email will contain a tracking number and a link to the shipper’s website for your convenience. If you do not receive this notice, please check your spam folders.
- If you received the wrong product, or if it arrives defective or damaged in transit, please contact us within 2 days of receipt so we can assist you to resolve the problem. All damages incurred during shipment will be the responsibility of the shipping company which delivered the item (Fedex, USPS, or UPS).
We proudly ship to countries outside the United States of America: International orders are shipped the best way based on weight, package size, and location.
- All products are charged in USD (United States Dollars). Need help figuring out the rate of our products in your country? This currency calculator is an excellent tool: http://www.xe.com/.
All custom fees, taxes and duties are the sole responsibility of the customer.
The value of our package will be listed directly on your package as required by custom authorities.
The release of your package is at the sole discretion of custom agents.
Due to customs processing, some packages may be delayed delivery.
NOTE: Depending on the shipping that has been chosen, there may or may not be tracking available once your packaged leaves the US. Once the USPS verifies (via tracking/scanning information that is available at usps.com) that the package has left the country, we cannot be held responsible for any missing packages. If there is an issue It is the responsibility of the customer to provide the customer care team with solid, specific information from your countries postal service regarding an order for a refund to be issued. Please keep in mind that international orders may take a bit longer to be received by the customer as we have no control over customs. The buyer assumes all risk and responsibility when placing international orders.
Thanks for shopping at Melody Music Shop, LLC!
If you are not entirely satisfied with your purchase, we’re here to help.
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.
- Your item must be in the original packaging with all original contents.
- Your item needs to have the receipt or proof of purchase.
If you need a different item including size or style and you are interested in returning an item in exchange for something else on the site, contact us and we’ll be glad to help you exchange your purchase or issue a store credit.
- Once we receive your item, we will inspect it and notify you that we have received your returned item. We will notify you on the status of your refund after inspecting the item.
- A restocking fee may be assessed if an item is not returned in it's originally sold condition. If the customer wishes to return an item they received because they do not like the item (i.e. sound, feel, look), the customer is responsible for shipping costs to and from and those costs will be deducted from the refund amount.
- If your return is approved, we will initiate a refund to your credit card (or original method of payment).
- You will receive the credit within a certain amount of days, depending on your payment method issuer’s policies.
- You will be responsible for paying the shipping costs to and from for returning an item that is not to your liking (see above). Shipping costs are nonrefundable.